Neighborhood Dispute Settlement (NDS) is a community based mediation center that seeks to promote and provide conflict resolution solutions through direct services, training, and education.
Statement of Purpose
Neighborhood Dispute Settlement (NDS) provides conflict resolution services as an alternative to other means of resolving disputes. To fulfill this purpose, NDS offers mediation, conflict coaching, facilitation, conflict resolution training, and Youth Peace Sessions.
- Equip individuals with the necessary tools to resolve their disputes through non-violent and constructive means
- Provide individuals in conflict with processes which promote dialogue, understanding, and resolution
The values that underlie the mission and work of NDS include:
- Dignity (Human/Personal/Individual): Recognizing that every individual has an innate right to respect and ethical treatment regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, or religion.
- Integrity (Personal/Procedural): Acting from an internally consistent framework of principles.
- Accountability: Acknowledging and assuming responsibility for actions, decisions, and policies within the scope of one’s role with the obligation to report, explain and be answerable for resulting consequences.
- Positive Peace: Acting to remove indirect and structural violence
- Community: Providing people with the skills they need to effect change so as to enable people to live in harmony.